Monday, March 30, 2009

Now Spring is half over

Seriously: I will get better at this and post a little more often.

So now I'm halfway through spring and almost at the end of my second year of teaching. I have a theory: the second year of anything is usually a hard year. Mostly because the "newness" is gone, but one still doesn't have things figured out yet. That and I think year one the expectations are lower, by year two one tends to think things will get easier faster than they do (or at least I do).

The fall ended pretty well. One of my graduate students directed Much Ado about Nothing for his thesis project and did a really nice job. The production was chosen as an alternate for the regional Kennedy Center/American College Theater Festival, which is an honor.

This spring I've had my usual complement of classes: Intro to Fine Arts, undergraduate directing, and graduate directing. Added to that this semester has been advising the writing of the MFA thesis (I have 2 grads finishing this year). That takes up a fair amount of time I've found. I'm working through the Much Ado thesis right now.

I'm not directing this spring, which is kinda nice since it gives me time to do some grad program stuff (as well as getting the thesis writing advising somewhat figured out).

I got to go to Idaho for this year's Kennedy Center/American College Theater Festival. We go every February for a week and take most of our students, many of whom compete in various things. The exciting news this year was that one of our students won the regional acting competition and is going to D.C. at the end of April for the national conference. It's a very exciting thing, and great for our program.

So school is fine. It looks like I will be promoted for next year, but we're still waiting for final budget numbers before anything actually happens. All reports are that it will happen. It certainly will be great if it does.

I'll try to keep this a little more updated from here out. We'll see.

No comments: